Pages

Friday, January 31, 2014

Nightshade by Andrea Cremer

Nightshade 
by Andrea Cremer




Goodreads Summary: Calla is the alpha female of a shape-shifting wolf pack. She is destined to marry Ren Laroche, the pack's alpha male. Together, they would rule their pack together, guarding sacred sites for the Keepers. But then, Calla saves a beautiful human boy, who captures her heart. Calla begins to question everything - her fate, her existence, and her world and the orders the Keepers have asked her to follow. She will have to make a choice. But will she follow her heart if it means losing everything, including her own life?

This story is about a girl named Calla who is an alpha wolf who goes against everything she use to believe for a human boy (Shay) who she hardly knows and changes her whole world.  Calla has always believer she would mate with the alpha of another pack (Ren) and follows the Keepers orders.  Shay makes her question everything she has ever known.  But Shay isn’t everything he appears to be.  Now she is torn between two boys.  Shay needs her help to find out the truth about his past.

Calla as an alpha is a bit of a joke; she is unsure of herself and has no power.  I know she is only a teenager, but as someone that has know from birth she would be an alpha and have her own pack she doesn’t seem prepared.  She is a bit of an unlikable character.

This world could be great, but it is not explained well.  You are just to take it at face value without knowing who the Keepers or Seekers are, where they come from.  Why if they know they would be combining the young wolves into a new pack would they not have encouraged them to interact and bond as they grew-up.  The only reason I can think of is to cause tension that is unneeded for the story, drama for dramas sake.

I like Ren as a character; he is strong and uses his head instead of jumping in without thinking.  I find it unnecessary to make him a womanizer other than to shove it in the readers face, “See, he isn’t the right one for Calla.  You should like Shay better.” Ren seems to actually care for Calla, unlike Shay whose actions (insults, pushing beyond Calla’s breaking point, and inability to respect her enough to not touch her when asked) go against the author pushing that he is sensitive and the right choice for Calla.  Shay insists that they do things that Calla tells him could get her killed.  If you care for someone else you don’t push them to do things that could results in their deaths.  I feel Shay is a bit of a toolbag.

Please tell me why Calla is so concerned with breaking all these “rules” that the Keepers have ser for her, yet NOTHING ACTUAL HAPPENS WHEN SHE DOES!!!!!  Not that I want to see something bad happen to her, but over and over she tells Shay that they will kill her for breaking the rules, yet nothing happens not even a slap on the wrist.

Overall I found this book painful to finish and if not for my obsession with to finish a book once I have started, I probably would have stopped listening to it (I had an audiobook) after Chapter 5 and it was a struggle for me to get that far.  I am inclined not to keep reading the series, but for my pet peeve I have of not finishing a series.  I will probable read the rst but the will be making their way down my TBR list.  Unless of course I can find a good summary of the other books online somewhere.

So don’t expect a review of the other books.

I give this book 2 STARS!


No comments:

Post a Comment